Pickled Red Onion
At Thyme to Feel Alive we think its handy2have something special now and again that you can add to a recipe or dish to elevate it to another level. If we can manage to make that nutritious and healthy at the same time then we are happy with that!
This pickled red onion condiment is exactly that – a delicious addition to a variety of dishes which packs a punch nutrition-wise too!
Red onions are rich in antioxidants such as vitamin C, which protect your body against harmful free-radicals. They are also anti-inflammatory due to the quercetin content.
Your digestive system will benefit too, since onions are full of fibre and prebiotics. They are perfect for adding to gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan or low sugar meal plans, so everyone can enjoy adding them to a dish, no matter what their dietary requirements are.
Why not try this quick 10 minute recipe for pickled red onion, that features in our Vegan Loaded Sweet Potato dish for Meat Free Monday. It’s great for other dishes, for salads, burgers, or with some smoked salmon, its up to you. Experiment and let us know what you did in the comments below!
Check out our Facebook page!
Pickled Red Onion
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp white wine vinegar
- black peppercorns
- Peel and slice the red onion thinly
- Add the salt, garlic, peppercorns, thyme, bay leaf and vinegar to your container
- Add the sliced onions and stir to mix the ingredients
- Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes or longer before using and keep refrigerated and it should last for a few weeks, unless you eat it all! You can add more onions to the pickling liquor within this time-frame.
- Enjoy and let us know what you use this handy2have dish for!